Monday Afternoon Quick Fix runs every Monday afternoon to showcase the best of Chicago music news, views and stories from around the interwebs and blogosphere that we might have missed.
• Terri Hemmert, longtime DJ at WXRT and host of Breakfast with the Beatles, won the Radio Hall of Fame’s “Local or Regional-Active” personality award for 2010.
• Prefix conversed with Davey VonBohlen, guitarist from the reunited emo pioneers Cap’n Jazz.
• According to MTV, T.I. teamed up with Kanye West in Hawaii and recorded six tracks for T.I.’s King Uncaged album.
• Citing exhaustion, Neko Case has cancelled the dates scheduled for her August tour of the Southeast.
• Blabbermouth.net had the details on Billy Corgan’s surprise sit in on “Every Rose Has It’s Thorn” at recent Camp Freddy show in L.A.
• Minneapolis' Fuck Knights might be from Minnesota, but they are big Chicago scene supporters and play here constantly. The band's new EP, produced by Gary Burger of The Monks, is set for a November release. Here's a preview
With the Pitchfork Festival still fresh in our minds and Lollapalooza knocking on the door, the first North Coast Music Festival, headlined by local improv-prog rockers Umphrey’s McGee, shouldn’t be forgotten. Kris Myers, the ferociously aggressive drummer for Umphrey’s McGee, has a softer, not often seen, jazzier side. On the rare occasions when UM is actually not on the road on tour, Myers can often be found playing gigs for free at the Webster Wine Bar. Thanks to Chad Smith we can take a look at Myers behind the kit performing some mellow grooves with the Kris Myers Quartet on July 20.
By Andrew Kahn\comments
Kanye West continued his tour of social media offices by appearing at the Twitter headquarters, having already stopped in at Facebook, to perform a cappella segments from songs on his upcoming, currently unnamed, new album.
West, who also stopped in at Rolling Stone for a discussion about rap music, recently joined Twitter (@kanyewest) and instantly racked up hundreds of thousands of followers.
New to Twitter and currently sitting at 410,317 followers after only a week, West has been firing off tweets at furious pace.
Of those followers West has followed just one, Steven Holmes (@ste_101) of Coventry, England, who responded to one of West’s Twitpics.
West tweeted this picture trying out a new set of diamond teeth:
Which lead to the following exchange as West chose Holmes to follow:
Anti Records posted a video of Mavis Staples and Jeff Tweedy discussing the production of Staples' new album You Are Not Alone which Tweedy produced. Staples explains the history of some of the traditional songs selected for the album as well as how the title track, composed by Tweedy, came to be crafted in the studio. Filmed in the Wilco loft studio the clip has a few interjections of the pair performing tunes from the album, with Tweedy on acoustic guitar. You Are Not Alone is available Sept. 14. And be sure to catch Mavis Staples on the Budweiser stage at 2 p.m. this Friday, August 6, at Lollapalooza!
httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLqaMPqtkQ By Andrew Kahn\comments
Spin magazine collected songs from many artists on the Lollapalooza 2010 lineup and made them available for free mp3 download.
The Spin Presents Park Life collection features tracks from 14 different bands and artists hitting Grant Park August 6-8, all of whom were amongst Spin's 25 Must Hear Artists at Lollapalooza list.
In order to get the sampler you have to enter your email address in the link provided above and a download link is sent to your inbox.
Here's the full tracklist:
SPIN Presents Park Life Tracklisting:
1. Spoon, "Written in Reverse"
2. Wavves, "Post Acid"
3. Social Distortion, "Far Behind"
4. Deer Tick, "20 Miles"
5. Dirty Projectors, "No Intention"
6. The Temper Trap, "Science of Fear"
7. The Big Pink, "Dominos"
8. Jamie Lidell, "Telephone (Tiga Remix)"
9. Chiddy Bang, "Dream Chasing"
10. Cypress Hill, "Light it Up"
11. Erykah Badu, "Window Seat"
12. Nneka, "Viva Africa"
13. Cut Copy, "Hearts on Fire (Holy Ghost! Remix)
14. Empire of the Sun, "Walking on a Dream (Hong Kong Blondes Remix)"
Kanye West stopped by the Facebook offices to perform some of the songs off of his untitled upcoming album currently slated for a September 14 release.
Choosing to take an a cappella approach, West stood alone on a table in a crowded conference room dressed in a tailored suit, and belted out three new songs - the comical "Lost in this World," the contemplative "Chain Heavy" and the tribute to his late mother Donda West "Mama's Boyfriend."
Here's "Lost in this World" with the other 2 clips below the fold.
httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Umjy314sQQ By Andrew Kahn\comments